Top 5 Reasons to Hire an Architect
Many perks come when working with an architectural firm.
You’ll have access to expert, in-house architectural designers, a draftsperson(s), and construction services (sometimes).
A good architect constantly analyzes how people live in their homes, work in offices, or entertain themselves in public spaces. They deeply understand function and form, providing one-of-a-kind expertise.
Read on for the top five reasons to hire an architect.
1. Architects Are Licensed
Architects are licensed experts with extensive knowledge of design, materials, and building systems necessary to protect the public’s health, safety, and welfare.
In the United States, architectural licensure requirements can differ from state to state. These licensing requirements are available through the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
In Missouri, professionals must fulfill the following requirements to become licensed architects:
- Obtain a professional degree from a NAAB-accredited program or an EESA Evaluation of foreign education.
- Complete The Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®) developed and administered by NCARB. This process can take about 2.5-3 years.
- Experienced designers who put their licensure on hold may opt to prepare an AXP Portfolio® (digital).
- Pass the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®). The newest version of the exam, ARE 5.0, consists of SIX divisions that focus on a building’s integrity, soundness, and health impact and an architect’s role and responsibilities within a firm.
- Pass the Missouri state exam, defined by Title 20 – Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division 2030 – Missouri Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors, and Professional Landscape Architects (20 CSR 2030-5.160).
2. An Architect’s Creative Vision
Architecture is a creative science. To master this science, architects must apply their creative vision and process to clients’ wants and needs and building-code compliance.
A successful architect’s creative process combines innovative problem-solving and unique self-expression to form their creative vision.
The architect’s ability to articulate appropriate management strategies to implement their vision (short and long-term goals) and mission characterize a concrete creative vision.
At Mitchell Wall Architecture & Design, we pride ourselves on providing specific, innovative, and unique architectural and interior design services. Our creative vision brings our clients’ projects to life.
3. Complicated projects
When it comes to complicated projects, it’s best to leave it to the professionals with the skill set to complete the project correctly and safely.
Architects are excellent for:
- Remodeling Unique or Historic Homes
- Technical, Intensive, or Uniquely Customized Remodels or Renovations
- Building On a Geographically Complicated Site
- A Custom Home That Perfectly Suits Your Lifestyle
Remodeling & Renovations:
You should hire an architect the bigger and more complicated a job is, especially for properties that are objectively more valuable than the local average. Without a professional, you risk damaging your ROI (return on investment).
Architects are necessary when:
- Altering the Home’s Exterior
- Reconfiguring the Home’s Floor Plan
- Demolishing or Erecting Internal Walls
- Modifying Internal Electrical Components
- Changes in Plumbing
Changes in plumbing counts or locations will likely require city and co-op/condo board approvals. An architect can manage the approval process.
4. Construction Management
After all the work put into creating and finalizing your design, an architect also acts as your representative during construction to ensure the contractor follows the design to meet your specific goals and expectations.
At Mitchell Wall, we ensure effective construction management during our “Contract Administration” phase.
Our Contract Administration involves:
- Site Visits
- Reviewing Pay Requests
- Preparing Reports
- Composing a Punch List
For more information on contract administration, please view https://mitchellwall.com/working-with-architect-phase-four/.
5. Enhancing Your Home’s Value
Excellent design sells! A good architect optimizes your investment by introducing industry-leading functionality, efficiency, and visual appeal to your property, effectively increasing the property’s value.
Architects enhance your home’s value in various ways, such as:
- Improving Your Quality of Life – effective home design increases your pride, comfort, happiness, and safety, resulting in long-term physical and mental health benefits.
- Lowering Construction Costs – completing a thorough design phase, avoiding design changes or zoning and code regulation setbacks during construction, and providing detailed construction documents, allowing the builder to calculate the construction cost estimate more accurately.
- Minimizing Life-Cycle Costs – selecting efficient and cost-effective materials and equipment and ensuring the builder meets the design requirements for the home’s aesthetic and performance (air flow, insulation, etc.).
Mitchell Wall Helps Carry the Weight
When working with Mitchell Wall Architecture & Design, you can rest easy knowing that your custom home build or renovation is in the hands of professionals who go above and beyond for our clients.
We turn dream homes a reality by listening to and working with our clients to meet their expectations while overcoming the countless obstacles we encounter in architectural design.
For more information about our practices or to inquire about working with us, please get in touch with us today!